Community Needs Assessment
The Island Disability Coalition conducted a Community Needs Assessment from November 26, 2018 - December 10, 2018. The survey was geared towards everyone in the Island community and received 241 responses.
The intent of the report linked below is to describe the expectations and vision for people with disabilities living on Martha’s Vineyard, needs, services and supports currently used by people with disabilities and their families, challenges encountered and recommendations for addressing those challenges.
Based on who was filling out the survey, five different surveys were developed:
- (1) adolescents and adults with a disability
- (2) their families
- (3) school personnel
- (4) adult service providers
- (5) general community members.
These surveys were available in two languages and were disseminated by the Island Disability Coalition and other organizations on Martha’s Vineyard.
Why was the Needs Assessment conducted?
- We are working to identify a shared vision of living on Martha’s Vineyard with a disability, across the lifespan. We need to collect a variety of experiences and perspectives, to better understand the needs (both met and unmet) of people with disabilities.
- The IDC will use this report to develop its strategic plan, outlining the steps to be taken towards a more inclusive community. Partner organizations may access the data collected to address challenges in the areas of housing, employment, community access, and more. This data will allow us to consider immediate changes in services and programs, while also serving as a lens to project future needs.